Iowa Select Farms Develops New Welfare GuidelinesIowa Select Farms Develops New Welfare Guidelines
September 6, 2011
Iowa Select Farms has developed a new initiative for all of their farms called SelectCare, to increase its focus on improving farm animal care and well-being practices.
The changes come in the wake of an undercover video reported in late June that alleged to show animal abuse at a farm near Kamrar, IA, that is owned by Iowa Select Farms.
A spokesperson for the company says the animal welfare group that investigated the alleged abuses found no basis for those allegations.
SelectCare was developed after a comprehensive, independent examination of Iowa Select’s animal care practices and standards by Anna Johnson, a nationally recognized expert in animal behavior and well-being at Iowa State University. Johnson’s examination was funded by Iowa State Extension and included on-farm tours and review of employees working with animals.
The SelectCare initiative includes the following key directives:
• Appointing Howard Hill, DVM, who has been serving as director of external affairs, as full-time director of animal well-being compliance and improvement;
• Hiring a minimum of four full-time animal well-being specialists;
• Creating an Animal Well-Being Advisory Committee of outside, third-party experts;
• Conducting quarterly, independent audits at a minimum of three Iowa Select Farms sites, which will be randomly selected; and
• Designing and implementing a new enhanced training and testing program for all farm employees who work with animals.
Iowa Select Farms says it will continue to provide increased transparency of its animal well-being policies through the use of:
• Online farm tour videos illustrating pork production and animal well-being practices at company hog farms;
• Dedicated Web site pages for farm animal care and well-being, including details of the SelectCare program, and
• Continuing tours for customers, media and stakeholders.
On its Web site the company declared: “Iowa Select Farms is firmly committed to excellent animal care and the production of safe, high-quality, wholesome pork. We will hold ourselves and our employees fully accountable for compliance with our animal well-being programs and policies, and will be forthright in actions necessary to ensure the health and comfort of the animals we raise.”
You May Also Like
Current Conditions for
New York, NY
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.