Subscribe to Our Newsletters
National Hog Farmer is the source for hog production, management and market news
June 9, 2017
Now that President Trump has withdrawn from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the remaining 11 countries of the TPP are moving forward without the United States. The remaining TPP countries have agreed to “launch a process to assess options to bring the comprehensive, high-quality agreement into force expeditiously, including how to facilitate membership for the original signatories.”
They have set a deadline of Nov. 10. The remaining TPP countries are Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.
NPPC releases NAFTA benefits white paper
The National Pork Producers Council recently released a white paper on the benefits of the North American Free Trade Agreement to the U.S. economy, agriculture and pork industry. The white paper, “Modernizing NAFTA and Safeguarding U.S. Interests” found:
• Canada and Mexico are the top two destinations for U.S. goods and series, accounting for more than one-third of total U.S. exports and supporting 14 million American jobs.
• Over the past five years, the United States has enjoyed a cumulative surplus in manufactured goods traded with Canada and Mexico.
• Canada and Mexico are the second and third largest markets for U.S. agriculture, representing $38 billion, or 28%, of all agriculture exports in 2016.
• U.S. agricultural exports to Mexico have grown 393% since NAFTA was implemented.
• The U.S. pork industry, which has been the world’s largest exporter of pork over the last 10 years, depends on exports for growth. Exports added $50 to every U.S. hog marketed in 2016.
• The U.S. exports more pork to the 20 countries with which it has free trade agreements than to all other nations combined.
• Mexico and Canada are the No. 2 No. 4 export markets for U.S. pork.
• Withdrawing from NAFTA would amount to a loss of 5% of U.S. pork production, reducing the live hog market by 10% at a cost of $14 per hog, or an aggregate loss of nearly $1.7 billion to the industry.
As the United States, Canada and Mexico get ready to renegotiate NAFTA it is critical the gains that U.S. agriculture has received under NAFTA not be lost.
Animal agriculture important to U.S. economy
U.S. animal agriculture provides significant support to the national economy according to a recent study, “Decision Innovation Solution’s 2015 Economic Analysis of Animal Agriculture.” Animal agriculture’s support to the national economy include:
• $375 billion to gross domestic product
• 2 million jobs to the economy
• $80 billion to household incomes
• Paid almost $21 billion in income taxes
• $7.4 billion in property taxes
A booklet, “The National Impact of Animal Agriculture,” summarizes the study and includes a state-by-state analysis. Copies of the booklet are made available by the United Soybean Board.
Vice President, Bockorny Group, Inc.
Scott Shearer is vice president of the Bockorny Group Inc., a leading bipartisan government affairs consulting firm in Washington, D.C. With more than 30 years experience in government and corporate relations in state and national arenas, he is recognized as a leader in agricultural trade issues, having served as co-chairman of the Agricultural Coalition for U.S.-China Trade and co-chairman of the Agricultural Coalition for Trade Promotion Authority. Scott was instrumental in the passage of China Permanent Normal Trade Relations and TPA. He is past chairman of the USDA-USTR Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee for Trade in Animals and Animal Products and was a member of the USAID Food Security Advisory Committee. Prior to joining the Bockorny Group, Scott served as director of national relations for Farmland Industries Inc., as well as USDA’s Deputy Assistant Secretary for Congressional Affairs (1993-96), serving as liaison for the Secretary of Agriculture and the USDA to Congress.
You May Also Like
Current Conditions for
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.
Lessons learned from going Prop 12 compliantMar 1, 2024
Research project sheds light on Iowa APP finisher outbreakMar 1, 2024
AASV honors six for outstanding service to swine industryMar 1, 2024
EU proposes €1.9 million to support laid off Danish Crown workersMar 1, 2024