MSD Animal Health, a division of Merck & Co. Inc., has opened submissions for the 2020 High-Quality Pork — Precision Farming Award, a new award which will grant one project up to $200,000 toward implementation with an interested customer in the swine industry. This year's award builds on MSD Animal Health's tradition of recognizing outstanding achievements in pig farming.
The High-Quality Pork — Precision Farming Award is created to support our customers who share our interest in advancing pig farming and the health and well-being of animals through technological innovations.
Eligible candidate projects must be a legal entity, company, startup, university or research group. The project must be an applied project in precision farming in pigs, with a demonstrated proof of concept and business model, if available. The project leader must be available to present in a virtual meeting with other candidates in a 20-minute session, with 10 minutes presentation and 10 minutes for questions.
Topics of interest
- Animal health, including biosecurity, animal monitoring and treatment devices;
- Facilities, including sensors, cameras, feeding devices and weight control;
- Management, including production and reproduction software, welfare, behavior, sorters and counters;
- Genetics and reproduction;
- Human resources, including labor efficiency, work environment improvement and work performance;
- Data mining, including big data, predictive and prescriptive algorithms, and artificial intelligence.
To apply, eligible candidates must submit a 300-word summary of their research project, a concise (maximum 300 words) letter describing why they deserve the award, a five-minute creative video about their project, and two referral letters from a third-party entity (a company, university, research center or swine producer).
Applications can be sent to [email protected] and must be submitted by Oct. 31.
The winner will be notified before the end of 2020. The project will be executed during 2021 with an interested customer.