The Pork Checkoff has an exciting lineup of Checkoff-sponsored events scheduled for World Pork Expo, June 3-5, at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines.
World Pork Expo attendees can stop by the Varied Industries Building (booth No. 120) or the Checkoff hospitality tent to learn more about the Pork Checkoff's new five-year strategic plan.
The plan was launched earlier this year and focused on managing the changing world facing U.S. pork producers. Through that process, all of our industry's efforts will be centered on doing what's right for people, pigs and the planet and demonstrating our commitment to continuous improvement, transparency and collaboration. The National Pork Board's three overarching goals are:
- Build consumer trust
- Drive sustainable production
- Grow consumer demand
Pork Checkoff Hospitality Tent (north of the Varied Industries Building)
- Enjoy great pork fellowship.
- Breakfast and bacon snacks served daily, including breakfast burritos, double-bacon corndogs, Sriracha caramel bacon popcorn and bacon Chex mix.
- Free business luncheon Wednesday and Thursday at noon, with Iowa State's Elwynn Taylor and economist Steve Meyer presenting market and weather updates.
Pork Checkoff Booth (booth No. 120 in the Varied Industries Building)
- Learn about new Pork Checkoff resources
- Have your questions about certifications or other Checkoff programs answered.
- Learn how you can better incorporate We Care into your farm.
- Enter for a chance to win a free iPad.
Open the barn door panel
Also at Expo, Iowa pig farmer Chris Soules (ABC's The Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars) will be attending many Expo activities to share more about the Checkoff's new America's Pig Farmer of the Year award. He will be on a panel, "Our Barn Door Is Open," with pig farmers Erin Brenneman, Thomas Titus and National Pork Board officer Brad Greenway. They will discuss the importance of producers serving as advocates for agriculture. The panel will be at 8:30 a.m. on June 4, in the Pork Checkoff hospitality tent. For more information about Soules' involvement with America's Pig Farmer of the Year award, visit www.americaspigfarmer.com.
The Checkoff will again be sponsoring the PORK Academy. The seminars are designed to educate pig farmers on the latest trends in pork production. For a list of the session and topics covered visit www.pork.org/wpx.
Producers and youth will have the opportunity to certify in Youth PQA Plus and PQA Plus certification sessions held in conjunction with World Pork Expo. Pork Checkoff will be sponsoring activities at the World Pork Expo Junior National Hog Show, visit National Junior Swine Association and Team Purebred.