All but three of the 80 swine herds infected during last year’s porcine epidemic diarrhea virus outbreak have now reached presumptive negative or are transitioning to presumptive negative.
According to Farmscape Online, Glen Duizer, an animal health surveillance veterinarian with the Office of Manitoba’s Chief Veterinary Officer, told those taking part in a PEDV Telephone Town Hall on Tuesday that all but two of the 80 cases were reported in southeastern Manitoba and included 25 sow herds, 16 nurseries and 39 finishers.
On April 28, 2017, the first of 80 cases of PED was reported in southeastern Manitoba and the last case was reported Oct. 24, 2017.
Duizer says, “Our current status is that we have 67 presumptive negative premises. Of the 67 presumptive negative, 19 of the 25 infected sow herds are now presumptive negative and there are 48 nursery finishers that are presumptive negative. We have three remaining premises that have not moved from the positive status, but essentially there are no clinical or actively shedding pigs on those premises and biocontainment is in place.”
There are currently 10 transitional premises — five sow herds and five nurseries or finishers. These premises are working their way through to a presumptive negative status.
“Our current trend or target is, I was a little bit more optimistic of this in April, but perhaps we’re going to be a little bit longer than the month of May to get our way all the way through but were still targeting for the end of this month in order to get most, if not all, of the remaining herds on to presumptive negative,” Duizer says.
Duizer says the outbreak peaked in early July followed by a second spike in September which occurred as many of the previously infected feeder sites began moving pigs to slaughter.