Pork producers can learn more about building ventilation from the inside out through a series of workshops in mid-March. Iowa Pork Industry Center joins Iowa State University Extension and Outreach in offering "Managing Your Unseen Employee: The Ventilation System" at five different Iowa locations at no cost. The series is sponsored by Automated Production Systems (AP) and lunch is provided courtesy of Iowa Pork Producers Association.
Brett Ramirez of ISU agricultural and biosystems engineering said the daylong program provides a two-pronged approach to understanding issues and consequences of decisions by combining classroom instruction with hands-on trials and application of knowledge gained in a real-world setting.
"Session content is divided into three categories delivered classroom style and a fourth that provides hands-on learning," he said. "In that final portion, attendees will be able to see and feel the impacts that design, maintenance and management can have on various ventilation practices through the use of Iowa State’s 24-foot mobile Swine Ventilation Trailer."
All workshops will run from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Attendance is limited to 32 participants at each location and people may sign up for one location only. Pre-registration is required using an online form.
Workshop dates, locations and pre-registration contacts are:
- March 15, Sutherland, Northwest Research and Demonstration Farm. Contact: Dave Stender, [email protected], 712-225-6196
- March 16, Emmetsburg, Iowa Lakes Community College. Contact: Dave Stender, [email protected], 712-225-6196
- March 17, Radcliffe, Hands On Excavating Shop. Contact: Russ Euken, [email protected], 641-923-2856
- March 18, Cresco, Howard County Fairgrounds, Featherlite Center. Contact: Mark Storlie, [email protected], 563-425-3331
- March 19, Iowa City, Johnson County Extension Office. Contact: Matt Romoser, [email protected], 319-430-7533